1. Did you know that the membership pin, received by each new Lady of the Household during her initiation into Daughters of the Nile, have been given out to each new member since 1914? The emblematic pin was described by the founders as an important symbol of the ladies’ worthy efforts. It is similar to the Shrine emblem, consisting of a green scimitar with golden crescent, and in the center is a white rose. The white rose, an important symbol of our order, represents purity and love (or innocence).
2. Did you know the Daughters of the Nile Foundation’s Stepping Stone to Happiness was introduced in 1955? This was also the beginning of the My Gift Program, which allows donors to make a contribution to the Endowment Fund and receive a gift in return. Visit www.donfdn.org to see the many beautiful items that have been added over the years.
3. Did you know that the Portland Shriners Hospital has a Facebook page? Yes, it’s “Shriners Hospitals for Children – Portland” The hospital staff posts fun and interesting things going on around the hospital. Check it out.
Thank you, JPQ Kathy Walliker
Did you know that Nydia Temple has a special book where our members can make a donation in memory of someone special? The Nydia Temple Memory Books are displayed at every session and contain memorials to princesses, husbands and family members, friends – anyone who was special in someone’s life. A $5 donation given to Nydia Temple goes directly to the Convalescent Endowment Fund and is a wonderful way to remember a loved one. The Memory Book Remembrances are entered into our permanent book and the donor receives a lovely note card for the family. For more information, ask the Princess Recorder.
Did you know that you can make a donation to the Daughters of the Nile Foundation thru your PayPal account? Simply choose the Daughters of the Nile Foundation as your favorite charity and click the DONATE NOW button. Donations are automatically sent and PayPal covers all the fees, so 100% of your donation is received by the Foundation. Also, it’s tax deductible.
Did you know that Shriners Hospitals for Children is excited to premiere the Stories of Love Telethon on 12/5/20, in partnership with Circle Network and the Grand Ole Opry? The 2-hour TV special will feature in-depth stories of our own National Patient Ambassadors, as well as musical performances by artists such as Brad Paisley, Kechi, Trace Adkins, CeCe Winans, and more! CLICK HERE for more details. We hope you can tune in and join us on December 5th!
Submitted by JPQ Kathy Walliker
1. Did you know that Nydia Temple has a mission statement? Yes, it was written by the Membership and Strategic Planning Committee a couple of years ago. If you would like to read it, simply turn to the back page of the Nydian newsletter – it is included in each edition.
2. Did you know that the Daughters of the Nile Foundation can receive matching gifts from employers? Yes, many companies offer matching gift programs as a way to encourage employees to contribute to 501(c)(3) charitable organizations. Most of these programs match contributions dollar for dollar, and some may even contribute more. Some companies will make charitable contributions to organizations you support with your volunteer time. This is a great way to double, or sometimes even triple, the impact of your giving.
3. Due to the COVID pandemic, the Shriners Children’s Hospital – Portland has implemented telehealth home visits. This allows the physicians and outpatient clinic staff to monitor patients from the safety of their homes. This program is called Fast Track Virtual Visits, using video software to provide a convenient alternative for families who may be travelling long distances or unable to visit the hospital due to COVID-19.
Submitted by JPQ Kathy Walliker
1. Did you know that Supreme Temple recognizes the legacy of our members? The Legacy Program is open to Daughters of the Nile members who have either a living or deceased family member(s) who is/was a DON member. A pin and certificate is given to all living members from Supreme Temple. The form to apply for the Legacy Program can be found on the Supreme Website (www.daughtersofthenile.com under the “Forms for the Princess Recorder” tab). Or contact Nydia’s Princess Recorder PQ Jennifer Moyer (503-888-2562 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance.
2. Did you know that Nydia Temple was recently honored with a 1st place certificate for the Nydian Newsletter? Yes, in the categories of temples with 190+ membership, Nydia Temple received this recognition. Princess Pam Davis works diligently to put together the Nydian Newsletter with articles submitted by members of Nydia Temple. It is posted on the website, and also mailed to each member thru the U. S. Mail. Keeping our ladies informed is important, and this is one of our most important tools; and we’re glad that Supreme Temple sees that too.
3. Did you know that Portland Shriners Hospital was recently recognized to be in the top 50 for Best Children’s Hospitals by U.S. News and World Report? A joint application was submitted along with OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, resulting in being number 44 on the list. Several other Shriners Hospitals for Children locations are also included.